Re: Monterey Historics (brief report)

To: DSTONE@libra.intel.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Monterey Historics (brief report)
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 92 09:33:44 -0700
Daren, I missed seeing you at the Monterey Historics... Could be because
you were at the 13th & I was at the 19th ;*)  I ran across Tim of red
Jensen Healey fame, & Ed Rush of the ripped off TR3 engine fame but look as
I might I could not find Dave Ambrose of Yellow Land Cruser at camp site 89
fame.

Daren did you get a chance to see the Apple Green bugeye Sprite & talk to its
owner???  That car routinely humiliates cars of much larger displacement.
The bugeye is fast enough it gets placed in a class that includes small block
Corvettes.

You didn't mention the AC Cobra that rolled in the last turn on Saturday. The
owner claimed he was clipped by a Jag, but a close inspection of the Jag after
the race showed nary a scratch.

When I dropped by the Jag tent Saturday, the President of jaguar USA was giving
a press conference.  There were both video & still photography people inside
the ropped off area.  So Trusty medium format cqamera & tripod in hand, I
slipped under the ropes & set up & started shooting. I primarily went after
XJ-13. 15 and 220 pictures, once asking the president of Jaguar USA to move
slightly to get out of a picture.  The press crews left after I had exposed
a roll of film. and I had the whole area inside the ropped off area to
set up and expose another two rolls befor I had had enough.

When you have a large camera & tripod car owners think you are sreoius about
getting the best pictures of their car as possible and are generally eagr
to help.  There were a couple of times that I sat up in front of a car & had
the owner rush over with some polish to get the road dirt off before I got
the picture.  The owner of a 906 Porche moved his car so the shadows would be
right & a couple of cars got moved so that the knock off I was about
to photograph would be right side up.  Nice helpful bunch of people who loved
to have their cars photographed.

I saw this BRG XK140 with chrome wire wheels that convinced me to paint my
TR3 BRG and not Apple Green.  It looked so much nicer than the Apple Green
Bugeye.

When all was said and done, (the checkerd flag on the last class Sunday
(CanAM cars)) I had exposed 12 rolls of film, met several owners, renewed
accointances with several other owners got to the point where I was starting
to say " oh just another Cobra or Testatrossa" got sunburned and had just
a wonderfull time.

And of course had it been anyother place, the cars sitting in the spectator
parking lots would have been able to bring hours of oooos & aaaahs, but here
it was just another Morgan Trike.

Oh well the 19th historics is now history and I can start waiting to the
time of Monterey Historics #20.

TeriAnn