re: Advice on TR7

To: fmd1@cornell.edu
Subject: re: Advice on TR7
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 12 Jul 1993 12:23 EDT
>From cornell.edu!fmd1 Mon Jul 12 10:31:33 1993
>A friend gave me this list name an thought someone may be able to lend me
>some sound advice:  Take it easy I'm not a car buff.
>
>I have an 1980 TR7 convertible that has been "on blocks" for 5 years now
>(actually  on it's still inflated tires).  The engine has not been turned
>over in that time nor was the car properly prepared to be stored.
>
>Question 1:  Are there any "must do" steps that I should take in trying to
>crank the engine outside of applying fresh power to the starter?  The oil
>seems to have held as did all other fluids....

Why take chances...change the oil first.  Also, try turning over the engine
with the coil DISCONNECTED to the engine doesn't fire immediately.  That will
allow oil pressure to build up while the engine is being cranked over by
the starter.

Also, flus out the cooling system and replace with a fresh 50-50 mix of
distilled water and anti-freeze.

>Question 2:  If I wanted to sell it, what price range would represent a
>going rate?  5-speed/rebuilt transmission/faded paint/tired interior/engine
>fine (unless of course the engine is seized). Where would I advertise?  I
>haven't seen any in our local papers.

Lot's of TR-7 convertibles around, with minimal demand.  Don't expect
to get over $2000 and maybe much less, especially with "tired paint
and tired interior".
This email list, rec.autos.antique, rec.autos, Hemmings Motor News, local
newspapers, etc.

Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com