Waxoyl, anyone?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Waxoyl, anyone?
From: James Luke <jluke@hydra.unm.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 11:37:23 -0600
Greetings
Thanks again for all the advice on removing stuck wire wheels.  I got it!  Now
I can finally finish rebuilding the braking system.  For your amusement, I
present a summary of all the helpful hints (with personal experience added).
These are roughly in the order that they should be tried:
1.  remove and grease your wheels regularly so you dont have the problem.
2.  lots of WD-40
3.  lots of Liquid Wrench or something stronger than WD-40
4.  lots of patient rocking the wheel back and forth  (mine wouldnt even wiggle)
5.  remove the knock-off spinner and drive around in circles (if the left one
    is stuck, drive around to the right, and vice versa)
6.  remove the hub along with the wheel  (as far as I can tell, you can only do
    this with the front wheels of the TR4-A, dont know about other cars)  so
    you can let gravity assist the WD-40 soaking in, and so you can use step 7
7.  using a wooden lever on each side of the brake disc, pry the hub out of the
    wheel  (this worked very nicely for the front wheel that was also stuck)
8.  DO NOT get frustrated and bang on the hub with a hammer (I tried this too)
9.  use a LARGE wheel puller, on the hub, not the spokes  (use of a small one
    will only ruin the puller)
10. apply heat to the hub (I didnt try this one)
11. put the knock-off spinner back on and wait about a year for the WD-40 to
    do its thing  (this is what finally worked on the left rear wheel)
12. sell the car

I hope no one gets as far as step 12.
Jim