'66 Spitfire (still sucking wind)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: '66 Spitfire (still sucking wind)
From: pat@fegmania.wustl.edu (Patrick Niemeyer)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 11:32:11 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks again for the advice...
I think I've just about exhausted the possibilities (and probably all of
your interest and patience ;)  but....  Still having problems...

As of yesterday I have replaced the fuel pump, replaced fuel lines and
filters, checked the carb floats (well, I looked at and wiggled them ;) ),
and replaced the coil and battery...

It hasn't changed it's behavior at all... (runs well till it gets warm
then starts to stall and dies.  Picks up a little if I open the choke all
the way... )

When it is dying, it really doesn't look like any fuel is getting to the
filter right before the carbs...  but I don't know how much should really be
there.  Occasionally when its running well it will be partially full, but
often it is just a trickle running down the side...

Is there no (or little) fuel there because the engine is dying or vice versa?
(I hate mechanical fuel pumps now ;) )  Is the choke having an effect just
becuase its allowing the carbs to suck down what little gas is getting there?

I did move the fuel line to try to keep it cooler, for the possibility of
vapor lock, but now I'm thinking that that almost has to be the cause.
I don't know (from the feel) just how hot the engine should be...  (the dash
gauge reads medium, but who knows) it's quite possible that it's simply
overheating (for some other reason) and I am too stupid to realize it.  The
fuel lines do get kind of hot... but how hot is too hot?

I'm going to try to check to cooling system today... maybe the thermostat.
Any ideas on how to verify that I'm getting adequate cooling?

Oh, another possibility...  How much oil should the carbs hold?  The Hayes
manual says to fill them to within a 1/4" of the top...  Mine don't seem
to maintain that -  they spurt a little out the top, and I did notice some
actually drains back into the carb and down to the fuel filter.

Would this mean that something is heinously wrong?
I haven't yet removed the bell shaped housings to see what it's like inside...
(I fear my carbs... ;) )

One last thing...  the choke is sticking badly (at the carbs) when I open it
all the way up.  I've tried lubricating the shaft and wiggling it with pliers,
etc, but it can get really jammed sometimes.
What would this mean?  ;)

Thanks,
Pat