GT6 Help Needed

To: "british-cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 Help Needed
From: "Lt Tim Radsick" <RADSICKT@pl-edwards.af.mil>
Date: 29 Jul 93 22:41:00 PST
Hello -- It has been a while since I was last on the mailing list,  so it is
great to be back.

Anyway, all the questions that follow pertain to a 1972 Triumph GT6mkIII that
is currently undergoing a frame up restoration.  Currently, the frame is being
painted with a coat of Corroless paint (from Eastwood catalog) and a coat of
black acrylic enamel

with urethane hardener.  The engine is on my porch, the bumpers are leaning up
against my TV and basically my apartment looks like an autoshop.

Without further ado....

Why are there so many vent hoses coming from the fuel tank?  I think there are
about eight!  I can understand one, but eight?!?

I just ordered all the bushings, trunions, hardware, oil seals, bearings, etc
to redo the front and rear suspensions.  Also, I have all the stuff to re-seal
the differential and the gearbox, and a new set of U-joints and rotoflex
joints.  Basically, I wa

t to put all new stuff back into the car, unless it is still in guaranteed good
shape.  Are there any tricks to redoing the front end? The U-joints? Any of the
other stuff?

I want to totally redo the brakes.  I figure I will rebuild the calipers, the
rear wheel cyclinder and the master cylinder.  They have kits in TRF, Vicky
Brit, SICP, etc.  Is the proceedures fairly simple?  Do I need any special
equipment?  Also, I am a

ittle worried about putting the same brake lines back on the frame.  I figure
that since I have it down this far, I don't want to have to do it again.  I
want everything right.  I am thinking of getting a tube bender and flare tool
and making all new lin

s?
  Is this worth the trouble?  Should I use copper, aluminum or stainless?  Is
there simply a way to clean out the current lines?

Are the studs to hold down the rear road spring to the tranny the same on the
GT6+ and the GT6mk3?  The catalogs don't seem to think so, but I ordered some
GT6+ studs all the same.  Mine had rust on top of rust.

Is there a good place to get hardware (nyloc nuts, bolts, washers, etc) other
than the VB, TRF or SICP catalogs? They seem rather expensive -- I figure I
could get some economy of scale by buying in bulk, which I will have to do
anyway.

I want to paint it BRG (of course), but I haven't picked a paint chip yet.
What are some of the better BRGs out there?  I will go with a base coat, clear
coat and I lean strongly toward metallic paint.

Finally (for now) what is the difference between the GT6 engine and the TR6
engine?  Can a TR6 engine be put in a GT6 and still clear the hood?  Also, I
think my GT6 engine is the low HP, low compression, low smog engine.  What
would it take to get the e

gine back up to the stock 100 (or so) HP?

Thank in advance,
Tim Radsick
RadsickT@PL-Edwards.AF.MIL