anybody have this size tap?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: anybody have this size tap?
From: mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 08:56:50 CDT
Could your bolt be one of the infamous BSF or British Standard Fine type.
Up untill its 1980 demise, MGBs had BSF bolts and nuts in them. For a long
time I thought they were of the commy metric type since metric wrenches
fit the heads. Then I bought a '51 Riley RMB. Thats when I discovered BSF.
The bolt pitch (threeds per inch), head size, and shaft thickness is different
than metric or SAE (society of automotive engineers) bolts.

Thats when I discovered an axiom of British engineering:
There's a right way, a wrong way and a British way of doing things.

I now have three complete sets of wrenches, sockets, taps, dyes, and assoc
charts. SAE (right way), metric (wrong way) and BSF (British way).

Did anyone exept myself wonder why the MGA has left-handed threeds AND bend
over tabs on the axle nuts? BOTH LH thread AND TABS. Is that incase the tabs
fail? or is that because they knew the American mechanics would fail to
re-install the tabs after servicing?

Question: what does positive ground, BSF, and right-hand-drive have in common?
Ever notice the direction windscreen wipers travel on LBCs? Reverse of US cars.

Martin "no longer can tell a gearbox from an transmition" Frankford