Re: British Cars Digest #911 Thu Aug 19 01:15:02 MDT 1993

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #911 Thu Aug 19 01:15:02 MDT 1993
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Date: Thu Aug 19 09:35:35 1993

> Gear Lubrication Ratings
> GL-1 No Additives
> GL-2
> GL-3
> GL-4 Suitable for light duty hypoid sets
> GL-5 Has lots of sulfer - Heavy duty hypoids GL-6 Hypoid
>      type gear sets have a sliding rather than rolling action, and therefore
>      require much greater wear protection.
> GL-5 Should be used in rear differentials.
> GL-6 is a heavier weight GL-5.  Used for heavy trucks and Tow Vehicles.
>
> Red Line 75 - 90 NS has No Slip, i.e., no Friction Modifiers.
> Red Line 75 - 90 has Friction Modifiers.
> Gear mesh in Gears litterally chops up and cuts appart the long
> polymer chains of Viscosity Index improvers.
>
> Smell of gear oil is from high sulfur content.
> - -------------------------------------------------
>    ________
>   /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
>  /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | "The South Lansing Centre
> | |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
> | | \  |   | |  Cornell University      | (Lansing, NY)
>  \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
>   \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!
>
> ************************

This is all very useful unless you drive a Mini or one of its
variants, wherein the gearbox is in effect the sump for the engine
and they therefore share the same oil. (This of course, is the same
design as the Lamborghini Miura, showing the foresight of Alec
Issigonis) It is highly recommended to use a REAL GOOD oil, err on
the side of greater viscosity and change it often.

I also recommend the extended magnetic pickup available from the
suppliers, as well as an additional magnetic pickup in the main oil
pump pickup circuit (a friend and I sell these..along with billet alum
shift knobs). I change the oil (mobil 1 in my case) every race weekend...
If it wasn't a product of leyland, I might worry about all the
pieces I find on the end of the magnetic pickup...but, so long as the pieces
are not too big, I don't worry about it.

Jim

jfuerstenberg@dcmdc.dla.mil