Re: paint removal

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: paint removal
From: neil@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Neil Williams)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 09:41:19 PDT
Subject: Paint removal
        I have some interest regarding this thread on paint stripping.
I am in the process of buying a front clip for my TR6. Unfortunately, it
is mostly yellow, while my car is all red. I used aircraft stripper on a
project a number of years ago and found it difficult to work with. The
biggest problem was that it flashed to quickly. Flashing is the process of
the volitiles leaving the paint in the curing process. More simply, it dried
out before it could disolve the paint. I was brushing it on with a paint
brush.
        I resolved never to use the stuff again. However, sometime later I
was recounting my experience to a friend in the business who explained that
one technique was to brush it on and then quickly lay cellophane over it. the
cellophane will stop the flashing. After the paint is completely metabolized,
just grab the cellophane and peel it away, paint and all. He commented that he
didn't like to use the stuff because if even a little bit of the stripper
survives the clean up it will ruin the new paint.
        Now what should I do about my front clip? Since it can be lifted is
there a dip tank stripping process? Another thing I was thinking about was
having the clip galvanized. This would improve the poor quality of the LBC
sheetmetal.

71 TR6
59 TR3

Neil Williams