Re: paint removal

To: British-cars@autox.team.net, RGS03%ALBNYDH2.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Re: paint removal
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 09:32:34 -0700
I could not get paint removal chemicals to do the job on my TR3 so I used
abrasives.  I sand blasted edges and bends using #30 sand at about 80 lbs.
I used a 3M rotery stripper on the flats.

SANDBLASTING: The finer grain sands take a little longer, but the bigger
grain sand particals pit the metal.  STay away from the wide open areas of your
sheet metal with the sand blaster.  It will warp the metal.

3M wheel: This is a round black scuff pad mounted on a shaft.  This fits on
your hand drill. It works very well but keep it away from edges or it will
disentigrate quickly.

There is a sand paper flapwheel that fits onto a high speed tool.  These work
about as well as the 3M wheel and fits into places the 3M wheel can not.

Don't bother with a wire brush for anything other than removing crud.

ABOVE ALL REMOVE ALL SPECKS OF RUST.  The instructions on anti rust goop
normally say that all you need to do is wire brush the rust than apply their
goop and you will be protected.  A number of years ago Practical Classics Mag.
ran a series of tests on various goops. They do not penitrate.  They
convert the surface rust and leave live rust underneath to keep te
the rusting process going, though a bit slower. (I just noticed I used than
unstead of then OPPS, sorry about that)

Rik, I you have never repainted a TR3 before, I can tell you where you are
going to have to deal with rust.  There are a number of places where the
Factory never got around to painting, a few where they just reached down &
sprayed hoping they got everything, and a few places where felt pads insure
rust.  Send me a line if you would like me to go through my TR3 rust list.

TeriAnn
'But honest I was only going to have the head rebuilt! Its just that since I
had the carbs off and they need rebushing & HAD to get that done.   And
since the car wasn't going anyplace, it seemed like a good time to do the brakes
And while I was down working on the rear brakes I saw the condition of the
fuel tank, so of course I'm ordering a new one.  And since the intake is
appart anyway, its got to be a good time to install a new choke cable.  One of
the
MGBGT's interior door panels is mangled and since Roadster Factory is having a
15% off sale, I just had to order a new set of interior door pannels.

STOP!  STOP TERIANN STOP!  Remember you were only going to paint the TR3
and rebuild the engine!

Hmmm since the MGBGT front brakes are already off, it would be a good time to
go through the front suspension..

STOP TERIANN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!
Since the wheels with the worn splines and broken spokes are off the car,
this would be a good time to replace them with those knock off minlites...

STOP

Maybe this is a good time to get the dents in the front wings fixed and give
the BGT the paint job it so desperatly needs...

GASP! Isn't there ANY cure for ship fitter's disease????

ACK!