Re: paint removal

To: Mark_Banaszak-Holl@brown.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: paint removal
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 93 08:08:39 -0700
Mark Banaszak Holl wrote:
>I saw an interesting note about paint removal in the Flash, the AHSTC
>publication.  They suggest dipping the part in a solution of 500 g caustic
>soda (NaOH) per bucket of water.  Attach one lead of your battery charger
>to the part and one lead to another hunk o' metal.  Don't turn your battery
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is any particular metal specified?  Steel?  Zinc?

>charger above 30 amps, else you're likely to burn it out.  The folks who
        :
>The second step involves dipping the part in a solution of molasses ?!
>This apparently "steals the oxygen from the rust."   This left me

Mark, could you post the proportions for the second step?  This sounds
interesting.  I just happen to have a door for the Plymouth that I'd like to
strip/derust, and I think I could fit it into a 55-gallon trash can,
though it might take two goes.  (If nothing else, it'd be yet another novel
way to make a mess.)

-coryc