Re: Re: Hot Clue

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Hot Clue
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 93 11:53:35 PDT
> > When you park the car, be sure the wheel is upside down.
>
> Not sure I follow this.  No matter which way the wheel is turned,
> exposure is the same.

Phil, it's been too long since you've had a convertible. :-)  (Or
maybe it's just a California Sun kinda thang...)  With no roof,
and with the aluminum slab going all the way through the wheel rim,
sun *will* shine on the bottom of the wheel and it *will* conduct
heat through the wheel to where your hands grip it.  (I suspect
this is more a California issue.  Reminds me of the BMW story about
air conditioning; the factory said their units were Just Fine, and
the US distributors said they weren't.  So when the factory heads
came here for a visit, the US folks gave them a black 5-series with
the power windows disabled, and toured Texas in August.  The next
cars came with better A/C.)

> > One rather weird solution:  Carefully paint the exposed stripe of aluminum
> > white!
>
> What?!! and risk losing concours points.  I'll park in the shade.

The best choice.  Second best: a tonneau cover that slips over the
wheel.  Makes wearing shorts easier as well, protects the seats,
and looks unbelievably wonderful when you leave it in place over
the passenger's seat while driving.  Would probably only cost $900
for a Snake, too...

Third best: car cover.  It's actually better for the whole car and
interior, not only because it covers the whole thing but it's usually
lighter than the vinyl tonneau, but it takes about six times as long
to put it on, especially on a big car like the Cobra. (I used to put
a car cover on a Midget, which is about the size and configuration
of a twin bed, and as easy to cover.)

Fourth best: white towel over the wheel.  Can blow away, looks geeky,
but you can put it on the seat when you get in to drive, and you can
always use a towel in an LBC, one way or another.  If nothing else,
you can roll it up and use it to rest your head on when you climb
under the car to bang on the fuel pump... not that I've ever done that.

--Scott "It's easier to hit the B's pump from inside the trunk" Fisher

From  rwg1@cornell.edu Tue Sep 11 11:42:41 2001