SOL spit sagacity sought...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SOL spit sagacity sought...
From: Dan Parslow x2556 <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1993 11:54:37 -0700 (MST)
I raised this topic a year or so ago to little response, but
the composition of the list has changed a bit so I'm giving
it another try.

I'd be interested in talking to anyone who's had any experience
in upgrading the performance of a late (1977+) Spitfire, especially
if it involved using UK-spec parts.  Good or bad experience.

I use my late '79 (1980 model) as a daily driver and it's been as
solid and reliable as anything I've owned, believe it or not.
Never broken down, never a drop of oil on the carport.  But that
_damned_ listless acceleration is really getting me down.  It's
performing to spec, but "spec" on this is still disappointing.

Questions on my mind include:  Can I just shovel in the UK 9:1
pistons and a UK cam to good effect, or will I need to change out
all sorts of other things, like the distributor, carb (ZS), etc.

Maintaining a degree of authenticity and "native" character is
important to me, so Webers and things are out.  Any anecdotes or
opinions are welcomed.

Thanks.
Dan Parslow