Midget Air Pump

To: "Scions of Lucas" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget Air Pump
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 8 Oct 1993 16:27:07 U
REPLY TO: Dave_Lapham@OAKHILL.SPS.MOT.COM                Time:   10:06
AM
Subject:    Midget Air Pump                              Date:
10/8/93

Marcus writes about his '74 Midget --

> I've noticed looking at my car, flicking through haynes,
> various catologues that there is a emission system of the
> Midgets (I have a '74, VIN: GAN5UE143058G Eng: 12V??????
> (can't remember the rest)). I see there is meant to be an
> air pump and so on. I DO have tubes and things which go
> to an evap. canister and around the valve cover and carbs
> but I DO NOT have an air pump.

 The early '70's Midgets (at least) had an air pump that
indeed was driven by the fan belt.  It bolted to the
thermostat housing/cover at the top and to a tensioning
bracket below.  It was on the opposite side of the engine
(assuming you have a 1275, anyway) from the carbs.  I
don't remember where the intake came from, but it pumped
the "bad stuff" back into the combustion chambers via
metal tubes which went into the head just below the spark
plugs.  As I recall, it was about the size (roughly) of
the alternator.  --  Dave L.