Re: Movie Cars

To: george@mech.seas.upenn.edu (none)
Subject: Re: Movie Cars
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 13:17:17 -0500 (CDT)
> of course the best lbc appearance of all time has to be in
> gumball rally, where the car spends the entire movie unstartable in
> the garage...

The Cobra didn't.  The guy with the outstate California accent had a
couple of good lines.   When he saw the Cobra his old rival had (he had a
Ferrari) he said "What's this, a race for antique cars?".  Later,
referring to a noncompetitor's street rod, he said, "Ugliest car I've ever
seen.  Looks like a juke box.".

Same guy brought in an Italian driver played by Raul Julia as a ringer.
Nice slap at Brock Yates for getting my wife's shirttail relative to
drive his Ferrari in the first Cannonball.  That's why the unauthorized
movies are better!

Anyway, Julia had the line of the movie.  As they are about ready to
start, he rips the mirror off the dash of the red car and throws it over
his shoulder.  The guy in the car behind has to duck it.  Then he turns to
the Californian in the seat beside him and intones, "The first rule of
Italian driving:  What's a behind me is not important!"

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 266-6244    phile@stpaul.gov
"A Lotus is a kit car bolted together for ease of shipping." - unknown author