Re: More SOL laws

To: DSTONE@SC9.intel.com
Subject: Re: More SOL laws
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 15:10:57 PDT
>      Okay, I have one, and *don't* ask me how I know;

We don't *have* to.  We know for the same reasons...

There's also the Law of Maximum Obstruction, which says that for
any contiguous group of cars, the probability of any individual car
in that group failing to function increases in direct proportion
to the number of other, functioning vehicles that cannot get past
it.  I first learned this when I was working on the brakes on my
car, which was parked in such a way as to block Kim's car.  At
one point I realized that I had reached a point where I could not
continue without a Special Tool, and I couldn't reassemble the car
until I finished the part of the task I'd started.  There sat Kim's
car, wedged in by mine, shaking its head and clucking its tongue at
me for being so foolish.  Since the front of the car was up in the
air with the wheels off and the hubs partially disassembled, I
couldn't even roll it back out of the way.

So I did what any SOL worth his or her Castrol would have done.  I
fired up the bench grinder and modified a tool to finish the job.

And of course, no one has brought up the group I.Q. measurement algorithm
yet; it's fairly well known -- take the lowest I.Q. in the group, then
divide by the number of individuals.  This gives the group's collective I.Q.
Useful to explain why a job that should take one person four hours to
complete will take four people sixteen hours (not to mention sixteen
times as much beer) and produce sixteen times as many errors.

If a sporting event involving balls or sticks is involved, divide by the
square of the number of individuals; if voting is involved, divide by the
cube.

From  rwg1@cornell.edu Tue Sep 11 11:55:09 2001