MGB Headers

To: british-cars%autox.team.net@hoosier
Subject: MGB Headers
From: peters@thor.li.Cubic.COM
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1993 10:17:23 EDT
Has anyone had any experience with headers on an MGB?  I am in the
process of accumulating the necessary parts to convert my '80 from a
single Z-S to dual HS-4's.  The guy at the local Brit car shop/used parts place
(Britannia Sports Cars, Babylon, NY) pointed out that it was cheaper to
buy a new header at $105 (from him)  than to buy a used pre-1974 exhaust
manifold and head pipe.   Looking at my catalogs I see prices on headers
ranging form $99 (Victoria British) for a chrome plated 3 branch header to
about $300 for a stainless steel one from Moss.

I notice that the stock pre-1974 manifold brings the front and rear
ports together, with completely a separate branch for the middle exhaust port.
This seems to make some sense.  Since the middle port serves two cylinders,
combining the outputs of the front and rear ports might bring the back
pressure on those ports up to the level of that for the #2 and #3 cylinders.

>From the pictures in the catalogs I note that some of the header designs
follow the approach used with the stock manifold while others provide
three completely separate down pipes.  Does one design have any advantage
over the other?  Is there one brand which is distinctly better or worse
than another?

Peter Schauss                   email:  peter.schauss@cubic.com

1980 MGB