Re: GT6 diff woes

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>, <cdenzler@sierra.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 diff woes
From: <amace%sedofis%sed.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 93 10:19:43 EST
As far as other differentials fitting a 1970 GT6+, the 1971 and 1973 Spitfire
used a 3.89 ratio diff. I believe it's virtually the same unit as the GT6, but
it has only four holes for the spring hold-down, instead of the GT6's six
holes.
1972, 1974 and perhaps most later Spits used a 4.11 ratio. So did the pre-1971
Spits, but that is the smaller Herald-style diff -- not as beefy as the later
ones.

Non-overdrive GT6s used a 3.27 diff. My 1970 was always satisfactorily
quick enough for me with that ratio (no overdrive). Using one of those with
overdrive would probably give you absurdly low engine speeds at 55-60 mph,
which
probably would be great for gas mileage.

I lost the other message, so I'm not sure who suggested it, but by all means do
all that other good stuff -- U-joints, bushings, etc., as well as the
rotoflexes
 It will be a sizable investment, but you really don't want to take any of that
rear end apart any more often than necessary.

Andy --KC75121L, a VERY early 1970 6+ that WILL live again-- Mace