Re: Bondo application

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: Bondo application
From: RadsickT <radsickt@lablink.ple.af.mil>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 93 09:59:41 PST
gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu writes:

>Plastic pallets sold for bondo mixing are nice; at the rubbery stage the bondo
>can be flexed off.  Remaining material can be removed with lacquer thinner.
>When the surface of the pallet gets hard to clean, break out a new one.

One alternative to the plastic palette is to use a piece of masonite
covered by by a ziplock or other freezer-type bag.  Let me explain.

Go the your kitchen cabinets or to the grocery store and pick out a good
size of bag.  I use ones roughly 8" square.  Cut a piece of masonite
(thin hardboard like the stuff they make peg-board from) that is a
slight bit more narrow than the inside of the bag (so that the bag will
just barely slide over the masonite) but a few inches longer than the
bag (so there will still be some of the board sticking out to hold
onto).  Then, just mix away!  When you have exhausted all spots on one
side of the bag, flip the board over and use the other side.  When this
is all used up, throw it away and get another bag.

The reason that I prefer this to the plastic bondo-brand palettes is
that the bondo will easily separate from the plastic only if there are
no scratches of scuffs to destroy the integrity of the surface.  I run
into this problem with the plastic spreaders -- if you get a few
scratches on them (which I always do) the bondo doesn't come off as
thoroughly as it does when the spreader is new.  With the plastic bags,
scratches don't matter.

Practice safe bondo!  Always put a ziplock bag on your board!

-Tim