Re: Oil pump (Renault-Europa)

To: lotus-cars@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Oil pump (Renault-Europa)
From: Mike Causer <mike@setanta.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 14:34:26 GMT
 Philip J Ethier's problem was:

> Then it hit me.  The oil pump had lost its prime.  Damn.  Two years it can
> sit, and not lose its prime, but four lousy days with no oil in the sump,
> and bingo.

No -one has posted any ideas, so here's my two-penn'th:  this seems a bit
strange
if the oil really could drain back wouldn't there be a non-return valve? _or_
wouldn't the workshop manual have something to say about how to prime the pump?

> Which way does the oil go in a spin-on filter? I think I remember someone
> posting that the oil comes from the oil pump to the outside of the filter,
> then through the filtering medium to the inside and through the threaded
> pipe to the engine.  Do I have this right?

Does it matter?  Why not just fill every orifice in sight?

I always fill the filter with oil before putting it on, although this is a
messy operation with a horizontal filter.  At least it's clean mess, not like
putting my arm up the transmission tunnel of a 98,000 mile MG Midget to replace
the brake bundy.  Urggggh.

Cheers,

Mike