Re: Odds and Sods

To: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Subject: Re: Odds and Sods
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 14:37:51 PST
In message <Pine.3.89.9402011516.A13281-0100000@r-node.io.org> you write:
>Um, oh yes, clutch rebuilds. I've never understood this term . You can't
>rebuild the throw out or the plate. So that left only the 250.00 finger
>and/or diaphram unit. Sure, they are pretty solid old things but the
>springs go, as do the fingers.  If you're paying to have the work done it
>will be cheaper to replace all three parts.

Unless you are doing the clutch of a '51 Bentley.  When I priced the parts they
were over $1000 (in 1975 dollars, no less!).  I had both the driven plate
(what we call the friction plate) and the pressure plate assembly rebuilt for
under $50.

Now, why RR charges so much for clutch parts when they are standard Borg&Beck
11" units is another question...