Rebuilding Z-S on TR6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rebuilding Z-S on TR6
From: ki@gf3.zycad.com (Fred Ki)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 13:19:28 PST
Dear SOLers,

I have a '70 TR6 w/ ~140K miles, orig. engine, transmission & Z-S carbs.
After doing an engine tune-up (Platinum plugs, points & condenser, timing
& idle), I tried fooling around w/ the mixture (air/fuel) using the
special allen-wrench-in-a-barrel tool.  Bad move.  I think I probably
unscrewed the metering needle or something so that she runs with no high-
end power at all -- embarrassed to be overtaken by lunch trucks & beat up
Vegas on the highway doing 50 with the throttle petal floored. The mpg
drops to 1/2 of what I used to get (~20/2 = 10!).

So, I've ordered the color-tune kit, unisyn tool, a pair of grose-jets
and a pair of Z-S carb rebuilding kit (diagphram, o-rings & gaskets galore)
and plan to rebuild the Z-S & make them good once & for all this weekend.

In fact, recent lurking seems to have more solers preferring grose-jets
over (stock) needle on Z-S.  Is it true?

>From the archive, I've seen the su_tuning file helping novice tuning
(& rebuilding?) SU carbs.  Is there an equivalent file for Z-S carbs?

If not, I am wondering if some Z-S expert can give some pointers?  BTW,
I have the Haynes Z-S manual & the Bentley workshop manual but more
help is appreciated in my 1st attempt at this "French word which means
Leave-it-alone," quoting another soler's wisdom.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Fred Ki
Zycad Corp., GateField Division
47100 Bayside Parkway