Re: POR-15

To: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Subject: Re: POR-15
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 16:12:37 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 7 Feb 1994, Jody Levine wrote:

> Has anyone else had experience with POR-15? Does anyone know what this
> stuff is? Is it epoxy paint, perhaps with additives, or something completely
> different? Is there a cheaper, generic version of the stuff?
>
> Jody Levine - jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto - '79 mobile doorstop ragtop

I've used it.  I *think* it is some kind of moisture-cure polyurethane.
It is impressively hard to get off one's fingers, I know that.  I had a
bad experience at the start:  I painted the inside of the "trunk" of the
bugeye with it.  It wasn't rusty, in fact it was clean original factory
primer, but I reasoned so much the better.  It cured, then came off *in
sheets* at the slightest provocation.  I spoke to a friend who has used
it, and he confirmed that it does not adhere well on a smooth surface.
After that, I decided no short cuts, all rust got removed.

Ray Gibbons