POR-15

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: POR-15
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 15:45:10 -0500
I used POR-15 (advertised in Hemmings) on badly rusted areas of the winter
car. It's meant to be used as a primer, since it's supposed to degrade in
UV, but it's mostly on the underside of the car so we didn't topcoat
it. It seems to be stick well and I don't see any rust coming through
despite the Metropolitain Toronto Salt Treatment (this year is particularly
bad, they used so much salt that it just accummulates in the gutters) and
the surface is quite hard and shiny. We also used it as a resin for
fibreglass (intead of the usual epoxy) to plug up some holes, and that
seemed to work pretty well, too. I will only really know when the sun
shines warm and I wash the car properly, but so far I'm satisfied.

Has anyone else had experience with POR-15? Does anyone know what this
stuff is? Is it epoxy paint, perhaps with additives, or something completely
different? Is there a cheaper, generic version of the stuff?

Jody Levine - jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto - '79 mobile doorstop ragtop