Re: MGA body restoration

To: "Paul Tonizzo, Finance& Ops. IM&T, DTN 631-7107" <tonizzo@trooa.enet.dec.com>
Subject: Re: MGA body restoration
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 18:04:48 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Feb 1994, Paul Tonizzo, Finance& Ops. IM&T, DTN 631-7107 wrote:

>       I am currently restoring the body of a 1960 MGA and need a bit of
> advice.  The body tub was sandblasted about 3 years ago and stored inside.
> It has since gotten a very light "dusting" of rust on it.  What would be the
> easiest way to remove this so I can prime it?  I don't want ot sandblast again
> especially since it is just on the very surface and not pitted at all. (It
> also wouldn't be great on the metal.:))
>
>       Any ideas?
>

>       Paul

I suggest sanding with an air-driven orbital sander and the machine
equivalent of approximately 220 sandpaper to remove a little of the
"tooth" sandblasting gives, along with some of the rust.  This should, of
course, be done dry.  Vacuum or blow the dust away.  Then I'd treat
sections the size of a fender with metal etch (I think it is dilute
phosphoric acid) applied with a brass brush, and prime with PPG DP40 or
DP50 epoxy primer.  PPG or dupont will sell metal etch.

I hope the aluminum parts were not sandblasted; they warp very easily
under the presssure of a sandblaster.  If they were, check them before the
final paint job, while you can still do repairs.  This is especially true
of the hood (bonnet).  Check by applying a thin coat of shiny black
lacquer and inspecting them.

Ray Gibbons