Re: MGA body restoration

To: tonizzo@trooa.enet.dec.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA body restoration
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 08:13:35 -0800
In message <9402152229.AA25086@us1rmc.bb.dec.com> "Paul Tonizzo, Finance& Ops.
IM&T, DTN 631-7107" writes:

>       I am currently restoring the body of a 1960 MGA and need a bit of
> advice.  The body tub was sandblasted about 3 years ago and stored inside.
> It has since gotten a very light "dusting" of rust on it.  What would be the
> easiest way to remove this so I can prime it?  I don't want ot sandblast
> again
> especially since it is just on the very surface and not pitted at all. (It
> also wouldn't be great on the metal.:))
>
>       Any ideas?
>

>       Paul

3M makes this material that looks like a very stiff corse black scawering pad.
They go on mandrals and are mounted to hand drills.  They will clean the rust
right up and leave a shiny surface.  When working near an edge, make sure the
direction of turning is such that the pad is sliding from metal over the edge.
If you turn it into the edge it will come appart on you.  This stuff is also
very good at removing paint.  Sold at better hardware and auto paint supply
stores.

An alternative is a little drum with lots of pices of sand paper radiating out
from the drum. These are usually rated for 22K RPM or so.  Put one on a high
speed grinding tool and its almost as good at the 3M wheel mentioned above.  Its
advantages is that the diameter is much smaller and it allows you to get into
areas that the 3M wheel can't get into.

Good luck but don't leave an unpainted car sitting again ye hear

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561