Re: clunker comments

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clunker comments
From: kburtch@pts.mot.com (Kevin Burtch X8534 Ppppp)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 18:19:09 EST
> Date:         Fri, 25 Feb 94 10:59:13 EST
> From: Will Zehring <WZEHRIN@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>
>
> Fellow fiends:

> -Another bizarre irony regarding Michigan law: after 10 years you no longer
> have to meet even our state's amazingly lax emission requirements.  Hence:

That is the only "fair" way. Auto manufacturers are only required to supply
replacement parts for 10 years. In other words, if your car model was
discontinued over 10 years ago, the company who made it has no requirement
at all to supply parts for it, including parts that effect emmisions. I'm
_not_ saying this is common practice, but it does happen. Example: I tried
to get a driver's side fender for my '72 Plymouth duster a couple years ago.
They only had passenger side fenders left in stock. The only way to get one
is from a parts car, most likely in a junkyard. This is only an example! I
realize a fender doesn't effect emmisions! :) What's unfair is the famous
California fixed year, (1964??) and Palm Beach County's fixed 1975. If you
drive a car that needs a part that isn't made anymore (because it's over 10)
you're SOL! (sorry, couldn't resist :)

> Will "You can't hug a tree with nuclear arms" Zehring

Later,
Kevin