clunker comments

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: clunker comments
From: Will Zehring <WZEHRIN@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 10:59:13 EST
Fellow fiends:

-As long as the clunker for cash programs are voluntary, I can't see how
we can scream if some jerk wants to crush his sunbeam.  Its *his* car.
I have no plans to become a guardian of other people's property, nor do I
plan on cutting off the rear of my E-type coupe so I can have a faux
roadster.

-I do not advocate the clubbing of baby seals.

-I *do* advocate strong inspection and emission laws (stronger than I see
in place in my home state, anyway.  I can't speak for what happens elsewhere.)
There is no guarantee that because a car is still running after 15 or more
years it must be because it is well maintained.  Here in the rust belt
I have seen cars on the freeway with *no* fenders: a high speed left turn
and the spare tire would slide out!  These cars are accidents waiting to
happen.  I just love nite-time driving and the chance encounter with a
rusty pick up truck with *NO* rear lights.

-I would not resist voluntary junkers for cash programs, other than on the
grounds that they may constitute pollution rights give-a-ways to the local
factory.  On the other hand, I would strongly
resist MANDATORY CAR SURRENDERING BASED SOLELY UPON YEAR OF MANUFACTURE.
Strong inspection and emission laws may well force some cars off the road
(by denying legal registration; can't deny the illegal sort).  Again, I
shed no tears for the loss of those dangerous cars: be they Atalanta coupes
or 1980 Novas (forget the 75 Olds for the time being).  Fix 'em up and
then get your plates.

-Another bizarre irony regarding Michigan law: after 10 years you no longer
have to meet even our state's amazingly lax emission requirements.  Hence:
the state provides *NO* motive to maintain your car up to even a minimum
safety or emission standard after that time.  Neither does the insurance
industry.

Thanks to those posting info on organizations working on these issues.

Will "You can't hug a tree with nuclear arms" Zehring