The Wonderful Car

To: b-c
Subject: The Wonderful Car
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 14:33:03 -0500
My commute to work is a little over an hour each way, and I have lots of time
to fantasize. One of my exercises in imagination is trying to figure out what
car I would purchase if money were not an issue...

A newer Jaguar? I see stuffy old women with expensive hairdos, or grumpy old
men driving these cars. Doesn't do much for me.

Ferrari? Viper? Lamborghini? All are obnoxious, and where would you park it?
And while they all have very unique lines, none gets me in the gut.

I'm sure the gentlemen on the list know what it's like to see a woman whose
looks are more than impressive, they actually get you in the gut. And not all
men react the same way to the same woman; one who does not stand out to one
man may cause another to turn into a little puddle on the floor. And that's
OK. It would be a very boring and difficult world if we all liked exactly the
same things.

The right car can do that, too. Believe it or not, I still have that feeling
when I look at a GT6. Sure, a Miura may be flashier, faster, more expensive,
and so on, but it does NOT bring out the same reaction as a nice GT6+. Go
ahead, laugh if you must!

I have found the looks of the GT6 exactly what my little automotive heart
desires, ever since 1969, when I first noticed the mk.2. Here I am, 25 years
later, and I've yet to find a car that strikes more of chord than that little
Triumph. Maybe it's just a personality trait - I still love the same car after
25 years, and I'm working on my 20th year of marriage, too. I guess once I
decide I like something, I have a hard time finding something I'd want to
replace it with! (Excuse the choice of pronouns, I was just trying to be
very inclusive.) When my 1968 Gibson Mastertone banjo burned in our house
fire, I was crushed. Sure, I've got a better, flashier one now. But I'd
gladly swap it back for my old one!

So Scott, just keep looking until you feel it in your gut. Works for me!

Larry
lesnyd@monsanto.com