Re: The Wonderful Car

To: (British Cars)british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Wonderful Car
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@postoffice3.mail.cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 09:51:01
> From:          sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)

> Well, it's time for me to limit my compromises.
> relatively fixed price range (I'm hoping to go over $5K but I'm

That's still pretty low. According to yerself, that buys an MGB, either
complete now, or the parts to make it that way. If we had 5-10, we'd have a
better chance, and 10-20K would be easier yet. (You didn't say you wanted a
project, that really costs more anyhow.)

> don't *need* this car, except in the deepest recesses of my soul.

Good. We can be somewhat impractical. And we don't need to have it available
every day, or worry about adding up commute miles.

> This means it's time to look for The Wonderful Car.

> The Wonderful Car has to have a look that makes me stop every time
> I see it,has to make me catch my breath,

A Fiat Topolino, or a Crosley wagon could do that...

> has to give me what Daren Stone articulated as
> "that first-kiss feeling" every time I look at it.

Oh, a pleasant look. Sorry.

> The Wonderful Car has to be something that I don't see regularly.

OK, even given your tastes, that rules out E-Types, GTV6's, and Ferrarri
408's. A D-Type would be sorta excessive.

> I want something that, if I park it at the Historic Races at Laguna Seca,
> people stop, walk up, and say, "What *is* that?"

Hmm, that makes it tougher, in this price range...

> The Wonderful Car has to be Fun.

But, of course. Well, with all these criteria, "The wonderful car" encompases
some of my favourites. I really like the uncommon ones.

> with a little back seat (like a Lotus Elan +2S 130, for example) would
> be amusing, somehow.

I might have suggested this, as you can find them well under $10K. (And a
roadster for a little above.) Along the same lines, there was recently a
Daverian for sale- an Elanish roadster, built in Wales, with an Imp engine
at the rear.

As long as we're mentioning Imp power, I'll throw in Ginetta G15. They book
cheap, in street form, it's just a bit hard to find one in North America.
There were a bunch sent to the California, that were fitted with VW Bug
engines, which you might dig up. The only problem, is I've had a bit of
trouble getting in and out of Steves race G15, and I know Scott is a tad
larger than I. I'll admit, that car is tighter than stock, what with the
roll cage, and narrow light weight seats. But still a squeeze.

Ray Gibbons states a couple:
> MGTC.  There has *never* been a car before or since that looked so exactly
> right for its purpose, to the extent you can say an MGTC has a purpose.

I will dispute this! First, the TC looks almost exactly the same as the TA
and TB before it. But, the "uncommon" criteria rules out any T-series MG's
right off the bat. Second, I've heard it said that an MG PA/PB looks "more
right" than the later TA/B/C, and I would certainly agree. :-) If Scott were
to up his ante, I might suggest a P-Type Airline Coupe, which certainly takes
*my* breath away. There's been one for sale in North America even, but it
does exceed the stated budget considerably.

More in line with Scotts current price offering, I must suggest a Peerless or
Warwick of course. Fun, Drivable, and affordable parts.

To mention the other Wales built car, there's also the Gilbern GT's, while
not a real serious looker, they are uncommon, and have a B-series engine
between 1600 and 1800cc's.

Tigers- too common. TVR? sorta common as well. 50's Alpine? Maybe. How 'bout
a Fairthorpe? Some were prettier than others, small, and controlable.

Diamler SP250. Well *I* like the looks, regardless of what some think.
Combined with that Hemi-head V8? Nice package.

A Turner Mk 2-3, with the Ford engine could do the trick.

Berkley? The 2 strokes are a bit rough, but there were some 4 cylinder
variants.

Here's one you may not have considered- one of the 50's Bristols. I've seen
them sometimes on the cheapish side, but they were probably in need of an
engine. ;-(  A couple interesting engines to choose from, as well as a
selection of body styles.

How's that for a start?
      Roger Garnett           (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."