Re: The Wonderful Car

To: Scott Fisher <sfisher@megatest.com>
Subject: Re: The Wonderful Car
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 17:08:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 29 Apr 1994, Scott Fisher wrote:

> relatively fixed price range (I'm hoping to go over $5K but I'm
> being realistic and keeping that as the practical limit).  But I

> This means it's time to look for The Wonderful Car.

> What is The Wonderful Car?  I'm not sure, but I'm developing an

> The Wonderful Car has to have a look that makes me stop every time

> The Wonderful Car has to be something that I don't see regularly.

> it was such an oddity to see another such vehicle.  I want something
> that, if I park it at the Historic Races at Laguna Seca, people stop,

> The Wonderful Car has to be Fun.  You'd think that would go without

> The Wonderful Car doesn't have to be super-reliable; the M.G. is (or,

> The Wonderful Car doesn't have to be practical.  Two four-door Volvos

> Mostly, The Wonderful Car doesn't have to be anything but wonderful.
> (Well, that and it has to fall within my price range.)  I'm interested

> --Scott

I have been mulling this over.  The problem is the price range; the cars I
lust after are more expensive than this.  You would have to borrow a bit
to buy one of my suggestions, but I won't suggest any Ferraris.

So for what it's worth, here are some of my favorite cars.  I'm doing this
without consulting references, but references shouldn't be necessary--if
something is wonderful, it sticks in your head.   Since I have only driven
a couple of these, the emphasis is on cars that looked right and had a good
reputation.

Late 50's Alfa Spyder or Sprint.  I can look at a nice one just about all
day.

Alfa Duetto.   Love the behind on those cars.

Early 50's Simca 8.  Rare as hen's teeth, have not seen one for must be 40
years, but I recall them as being beautiful.  Maybe I *should* go look at
a reference for this one.

Late 40's early 50's Lea Francis Sports.  I have only seen one in my life,
in about 52, but it made an impression.

MGTC.  There has *never* been a car before or since that looked so exactly
right for its purpose, to the extent you can say an MGTC has a purpose.

Jaguar XK120.  I have wanted one for 44 years.  Orange-red, with wire
wheels.  Or maybe more subdued, the grey-green.  Oh, I don't care what
color it is.  I just want one.  I know they steer like trucks and the
brakes are weak.  I want one.

Lotus Elite, one of the originals.  The british have done some very
strange things with fiberglas on occasion, but this was inspired.  I would
put it in the living room, if I had a living room.

1941 Lincoln Continental.  OK, OK, too big, no fun to drive, and
can you imagine nibbling off speed with little twitches of the wheel after
you enter a corner too fast?  With a beam front axle?  Ho!  But lovely.

Mercedes 280SL.  Teutonic, but *classy*.

How about an HRG?  They are not thick upon the ground.

How much does a Morgan +4Plus go for?  Naaah, have to be *way* over $5k.

Early Porsche 911 or 912, before the spoilers and other nonsense.  Whales
should have tails; cars shouldn't.

56 Corvette.  I dislike most Corvettes, but not this one.

Citroen Traction Avant.  They did make convertibles.

Jaguar Mk IV, any model, even the saloon.  Actually, I think the Mark IV
designation was applied only in retrospect, I cannot remember what they
were called when they were new.  One of these is the first foreign car I
ever remember seeing.  I walked circles around it for 20 minutes.  It did
not look even one little bit like a 47 Ford, and I loved it for that.

And if you want to get really rare, the Kurtis with the depressed sections
in the doors.  Those folks at Laguna Seca would have a hell of a time with
one of them.

I know real humans can't afford a BMW 507 or 328, so I won't suggest them.
But an Arnolt MG would be something you'd not see every day, and an Arnolt
Bristol is pretty wacky (pun intended, and extra points for those who know
why this is a pun).

And I once knew a guy in St. Louis who had a late 40's Alfa 6C-2500 with a
custom envelope body by Pinin Farina.  Made the prettiest automotive sound
you can imagine.  Oh, and a Frechia d'Oro.  But those would be pretty
pricey, I guess.  Oh well.  Be inspired.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910