Re: Sunbeam Brakes

To: louis@nil.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Brakes
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 03 May 1994 12:42:43 -0500 (EST)
Hi

WRT the posting stating that continued pressure on the brake pedal eventually
resulting in the brake going to the floor...

This is _most likely_ the failure of the master cylinder. Rebuild it or
take it apart and check the cup seal. I think you'll find that the cup seal
is perished.

I have had this problem on BIG American Cars (BAC's), and the boost from the
vacuum assist unit is significant enough to cause the pedal to go to the floor
in no time. This is very un-nerving while sitting at a stop light...the longer
you sit with your foot on the brake, the lower the pedal goes. Very scary in
a 5000 lb. car (but no less scary than in a 2000 lbc I might add.)!

bye,
rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |