Re: Berry has a Bad Car Day...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Berry has a Bad Car Day...
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 10:40:11 PDT
Well, thanks to all for the helpful words.  I appreciate it a lot.

Some of the suggestions:
crushed rubber fuel line:  all are new.  I replaced the tank-to-metal line one
last night and got a quart of gasoline up my sleeve.  No change.

clogged/rusted fuel tank: see above.  Not clogged.  (after two showers I still
whiff of gas).  I cleand the tank last summer.  peering in with a flashlight,
it still looks good.

clogged filters: replaced them.  Nothing.

small hole in fuel line before pump letting in air under suction: not sure how
to test it.

twisted fuel lines softening with heat and flattening out: not twisted, new
lines.

bad condensor: replaced it.  No change

RTV on fuel gauge sender attacke by fuel and resulting sludge clogging things
up: nope.  No RTV in the fuel system anywhere.

bad coil: replaced it.  Haven't yet test-driven since it's raining. (and I was
late for work)

stuck carb needles:  disconnected fuel line & pump, let engine halt, blew
through (clean!) tube; easily pumped air into bowls.  conclusion: needle
valves (actually Grose Jets) OK.

vacuum in fuel tank due to clogged vents: opened tank filler; no change.

clogged metal fuel line (runs up frame from rear of car to left side of
engine: I need to check this out.

vapour lock due to Facet pump getting too hot: felt pump when symptoms
manifested.  Wasn't very hot; was warm but could easily leave hand on it
indefinitly with no discomfort.  estimate not over 95 degrees.  TO try: dump
cold water on it when symptons manifest.  Doesn't explain why the symptoms
happened with old mechanical pump.

points not opening: points are new and open fine.  distributor is recent
rebuild.

facet pump in engine compartment cannot pull from tank easily:  dunno how to
test it.  solution is to move the pump to the rear of the car, a messy and
tedious operation.

pump not generating enough pressure: anyone have a pressure gauge I can borrow?

-----
Best things to try I see:  cool off the pump with cold water, check the metal
line for clogging.

THanks again.