Re: Spark Plugs

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spark Plugs
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 18:51:28 -0400 (EDT)

> > I, too, use only NGK plugs, but your point about the ZR-1
> > might be a bit misleading, since Yamaha builds (built?) the
> > ZR-1 engine and both NGK and Yamaha are Japanese...
>
> I understand the ZR-1 engine is made by Mercury Outboards, now a
> division of GM and the only division anyone at GM thought could be
> trusted with making the fine powerplant.
>
> --
>                               ---  Kirbert

 Ah, tis true. Lotus did all of the R&D work, and the actual production was
done at Mercury Marine. Could be that Lotus sent the motor through EPA
certification with their favorite (OE) plugs, NGKs. Once that certification
is done, the plug type is locked in. If this is what happened, GM would have
been facing a new 50,000 mile run to get their plugs okayed.

   Randy