Re: Spark Plugs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spark Plugs
From: Bob Tufts <rbt@itc.Kodak.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 10:05:35 -0400
>From: Kirby Palm <palmk@freenet1.scri.fsu.edu

Perhaps one of the most interesting notes was that Chevrolet specifies
NGK plugs in the Corvette ZR-1 -- and GM MAKES spark plugs!

There was a long list of other testamonials.  Almost all were about
the greatness of NGK.  There were a few remarks about other plugs, but
the concensus was clear.  From now on, if I am buying plugs, it will
be NGK's, and there are a LOT of people that suggest you all do the
same.

Well the ZR1 isn't really a Chevy in the traditional sense. It had most, if not
all, of its design by Lotus and is built by Mercury Marine.

It so happens I've come to the same conclusion on my Esprit. It was spec'ed with
NGK's and I've tried a few other brands with none performing as good for me.
(Bosch Platinum's being more expensive and not as good). The same is true for
my Nissan truck and (along time ago) Mazda RX3. NGK's were the OEM plug and I
never found a better plug (some MUCH worse). I've had bad luck with Champions
over the years: I don't know , but maybe the plug indicated on the substitution
chart is never quite the right one when it comes to heat range, etc -instead you
seem to get a generic plug -with the supposid right reach and heat range.

There may be something to sticking with OEM plugs: It's in the manufacturers
best interest to find a plug that does everthing well.

-Bob T.