Re: MGB piston replacement options

To: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Subject: Re: MGB piston replacement options
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@postoffice3.mail.cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 13:34:37
> How ugly a job is it?

Enough.

> How far up do you have to get the car?

As much room as you can get for your body to move freely.

> What kind of jackstands did you use?

I last did this in my jackstand years- but I don't have to worry about
quakes. How bout ramps if you're worried?

> What would you do differently if you
> had to do it again?

Pull the whole thing- but that was for a scratch rebuild. I did the centre 3
main bearings, but couldn't get to the outside 2. Polishing the crank, and
other stuff was lots of fun down there.

But- Your engine is fresh. This is pistons only, right? I think I'd still do
that one right in place, as it will save dealing with a number of
connections. (Spridgets are easier) You'll want to un-bolt the engine
mounts, and lift the engine as much as you can- that should provide
reasonable access to the front pan bolts, and removing the pan. If you have
the hoist to help- good, if not, a 2x6 braced & padded over the wings should
do.

Normaly, I'd also plastiguaging the rod bearings, but if they don't show any
wear, you should be fine after just 2K miles.

I'd also consider a very light ball honing (Cover the crank!), to smooth the
bores. Machining only is coarse, and all bore work should be finished by
honing.

Check your cylinder bores, and the ring gaps! This engine was speced for
race- the clearences may be different. (Larger?)

Roger