Re: Zen and the AMM

To: jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Zen and the AMM
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 94 10:58:06 -0700
In message <199405261437.AA02435@ohrd.rd.hydro.on.ca> Jody Levine writes:
> (attribution deleted in error):
> >> Also, specifically LBConvertible content:
> >>
> >> Pirsig speaks, if somewhat condescendingly, about touring in cars,
> >> about the feeling of being boxed up and watching the world go by
> >> through the windscreen as if watching it on television.
> >>
> Chris Ball wrote:
> > Yes, that's right in the first few pages I've read to date ! I caught
> >that too and thought "Well, I can be IN the scene and contemplate even
> >MORE in the TR3 because I don't have to keep my balance(physically) all the
> >time"
>
> I guess you don't ride a motorcycle, as I think that Pirsig nailed that one
> exactly. The real reason why touring in cars has even the remotest
> possibility of being more spiritual than motorbike touring is that you're
> not distracted by how much your butt hurts!
>
> About thunderstorms, heavy rain is great fun on a bike - like splashing
> through puddles. In the TR I just sit in a puddle, which is not nearly as
> charming.
>
> Jody
>
> jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto - '92 TDM850,good rainsuit; '79 TR7,leaky
> top

Well I have to jump into this null content string.

I used to ride a bike (started during the gas crunch to get to & from work).  I
was on my third bike (I put close to 30,000 miles a year on them) when I got the
TR3.  Somehow, I never touched the 650 after I started driving the TR.  Top down
driving with the low slung doors was to me every bit as nice, and I felt more
protected and could actually spend more time looking at the scenery.  There
wasn't much difference in looking through the TR's widscreen or the bike's
faring except the windscreen wasnt all scratched up.  The 650 is long gone but I
can not concieve of parting with the TR3.

Heavy rain storms FUN on a bike???  Some of my worst memories on a bike have to
do with heavy rain storms at night in the Santa Cruz montains, unable to see
through my helmet shield or my glases, not being able to see where the road
curved to next.  Nothing like driving home in near freezing rain on a windy
mountain highway by memory of which curve should be coming up next. fun????

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561