MGB cooling fans

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB cooling fans
From: sanders@hydra.unm.edu
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 94 14:42 MDT
Hi
Now that summer is starting to cook here in NM I need to get more serious
about cooling my MGBs. Both are okay at speed but overheat in traffic -
which moves all too slowly from the constant (and regionally infamous) road
construction and the street lights being seemingly programmed for obstruction.

I've got the biggest and best radiator cores I could arrange, have relatively
new water pumps, low temp thermostats (or blanking sleeves), and have
messed with Water Wetter.

As an aside, when freshening the head of the 69 and installing the
roller rockers, I noticed an extraordinary accumulation of crusty yuck in
the block waterways feeding the head. The water here is not soft
but is not as hard as elsewhere I've been without as much problem. I've
since gone to distilled but can't help but wonder if last summers'
experimenting using the Water Wetter contributed to the buildup.

Anyway... as I am starting on electric fan conversions, I would appreciate
any pointers people may have. Particularly if one 10" has been found to
be sufficient.  I am considering two smaller (8-9") but have not been able
to identify an appropriate source in these sizes and I'm also worried about
the ~15A combined draw.  Have people favored push or pull implementation?.
Any particularly effective thermostat arrangements? Slick mounting tricks?

Thanks for your help
John Sanders
sanders@unm.edu