hot mg's in New Mexico

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: hot mg's in New Mexico
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 94 09:12:33 EDT
Just a thought on cooling down MG's:  I don't know what year this was done
in exactly, but the later B's had their oil coolers *underneath* the
radiator, which necessitated the fitting of a front valence with vents cut
in them (at least I think they did... or was it the twin cam MGA?).  Is this
a possible mod on your car?  I realize that this isn't going to do much for
a car sitting at a stop light but if you are concerned that your oil cooler
is interferring with the flow over the radiator...Of course you will need
new oil lines to reach the "down under" cooler.

A more radical move: could you cut louvers in the hood?  It certainly
wouldn't be original, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work or look nice in
its own right.  Cut the louvers out of some wreck (no, I have no idea what
wreck but there must be some old Chevelle out there with hood louvers)  in
the boneyard and weld them into your own hood.   Better yet: get a B hood
from the boneyard, welde in the louvers and test it out.  If it doesn't
matter, you still have your old original hood as well as this useless ugly
cut up hood.   Sounds fun!   If it *does* work, paint the hood and drive
away cool calm and collected.  You can send me a photo, as I'd like to see
how it looks.   Maybe what you need is better air flow escape from the
engine compartment (what I understand to be a major flaw in the design of
the MGA engine bay, as regards engine cooling).  That would make a
difference at a stop light.

In the final analysis, what a fellow jag owner once said in response to my
worry of running too hot: "Is it boiling over?"  "No."  "Then it isn't
running too hot."

Will "I ain't no expert" Zehring