Re: hot mg's in New Mexico

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hot mg's in New Mexico
From: "Christopher A. Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 11:26:08 PDT
I added an oil cooler to my TR4A. It didn't help the temperature as
much as it helped the oil pressure, but I didn't have severe cooling
problems with that car.

It's easy on a 4A - since the lower radiator shroud from a 6 bolts
right up, and is already drilled to mount an oil radiator. However, the
4A's lower valence doesn't admit any air. I solved that with a hole saw
- I made three squarish holes by cutting twelve 1.5" holes at the
corners of the "squares" and using a nibbling tool to get the rest out.
I then finished the edges with chromed motorcycle fairing trim (thanks
John!) which looks a lot like the chrome finisher around our windshield
rubber seals.

Worked like a champ. Should you decide to go this route, I'd be happy
to send you some of the trim; I've got lots.

You might consider going to an electric fan that covers the whole
radiator including the area shrouded by the oil cooler. That will make
the biggest difference at a stop light.