Re: Naming cars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Naming cars
From: Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 09:50:41 -0400
Rik Schlierer wrote:
> I've never been able to find the right name for the 1971 240Z however.
> Maybe it's talking to me in Japanese.

You're right, names like "Lizzy", "Bess", "Peggy", or even "Grandfather"(!)
for British Cars are not evoked when looking at these Beasts of the Orient.

My '82 Corolla became "Corolly".  My '84 Tercel was "Snow Bunny", firstly
because we picked her up from the dealer in a binding blizzard (long story)
and secondly 'cus she was white!  AKA "Tercel" (sigh...)  My '88 and '89
Camry's were "Camry" or "The Wagon" or "The Family Truckster".

My latest Jap car, a '93 Acura Integra is "Intiana Jones" or just "Inty" for
short!  Inty has a bit more character than all my other cars past and present.
(For our UK/Europe readers, the 90-93 Integra is related to the Rover 220).

Going back a few years, we used to call me old Dad's Land Rover "Barrow".
The name came from our "barrelling along" in it.  "Barrel" became "barrow"
which was easier to say for us Derbyshire types :-) and barrow, like
garden barrow, was what it was; it was used to carry _everything_!

        Cheers!

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
  "Like a stately Aston Martin... With all her bravery on, and tackle trim..."
          (With apologies to John Milton who said "ship" in his original quote)