74MGBGT

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 74MGBGT
From: COSTICH_ALAN/HPATC1_01@i3125ent.atl.hp.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 94 08:45:00 -0400
Good day all!
What a wonderful car this BGT is! A few little niggles
to work out yet. Last Tuesday evening the speedometer
shit the bit. I verified that the cable turns freely
at the back of the head (gage?).Removed the gage and
verified that the gage works. Found that the very end
of the cable that goes into the gage was slightly
rounded. So, I cut a piece of brass shim stock of
approximately .015 thickness by .0312 wide by .5
long and stuffed this into the opening with the
worn end of cable. Bingo! speedo works. However, my
hands are all cut up. Not a lot of room for big
hands to negotiate up under the facia.

On the way home from work the other evening, after a
relative heat wave during the day, and in traffic,
the temp gage creeped higher than I remember it ever
going. About the only change from last summer is a
long-center-branch header addition to replace the
rotted out headpipe. I haven't altered the timing.
Maybe whats needed is a pressure flush of the fins
in the radiator. But, I am not anxious to do that 'cause
the rad is looking a little old and starting to corrode
along the top of the lower tank.

Still, it is a wonderful car. I am envious that I don't
have the mountainous roads that Scott#1 has.

Lest it go unsaid, I, too, welcome the list into my living
room every night whilst reading the digest. What a great
bunch of people. In our local Centre it has been said that
the car people are like an extended family. I guess I feel
that way about most of the people on this list.

Thanks to all.

Alan