Re: MGA Halogen Headlights

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA Halogen Headlights
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 94 16:38:37 MDT
> Date:         Wed, 8 Jun 1994 14:31:31 -0400
> From: Dave Dmytriw <daved@SYNCRUDE.COM>

> I am thinking about installing halogen headlights in my MGA.  I rebuilt the
> generator last year and it seems to be very strong.  Another MGAer mentioned
> that he read somewhere that the generator can't really handle the load of
> halogens.

Didn't we just do this for taillights?  Headlamps are generally
spec'ed at 40 Watts. The "normal" replacement halogen headlamps are
also 40 Watts.  A watt is a watt to the generator, whether it is
incandescent, halogen or carbon arc.

Now, I wouldn't put Cibie high wattage H4 elements in the A, but the
Sylvania or GE replacement sealed halogens should work just fine (I've
got them in my Magnette)

    Jay Nemeth-Johannes                       87 Merkur XR4ti
    Hewlett-Packard                           83 VW GTI
    VXI Systems Division                      71 Saab Sonett
    Loveland, Colorado                        58 MG ZB Magnette