clutch pins, rivet nuts, mice in your intake

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British-Cars)
Subject: clutch pins, rivet nuts, mice in your intake
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 94 15:03:41 EDT
        I was fiddling around on the '6 last night (at 3am), since I got my
care package from TRF a day or two ago.  One interesting thing I found when
I went to change the air filters was that over the winter a mouse (probably
the one that was living in the trunk that I trapped with spring) chewed a hole
in one of the air filters.  I do wonder what the engine ingested on first
fire-up this spring...  Oh well, too late to worry about it now.  Reminds me
of when my stepmother started up her Porche 356C one spring and I watched a
very dead mouse shoot out of the tailpipe like a bullet.

        Also, I replaced the clutch pin.  I had noticed that the pedals were
a) very loose, and b) there was play between the rod and the pedal at the pin.
The old pin is very amusingly worn: there are two nice radiused grooves from
the clutch rod-end, and one wide depression from the pedal hole.
Unfortunately, the hole is somewhat ovaled as well.  I also installed a return
spring; the PO removed them from clutch & brake.  I got new bushing for the
pedals, but to mount them I'd need to remove both master cylinders and the
pedal-box.  The pedals have about 1/2" side-to-side play (at the ends).

        How long (miles) does it take for a TR6/250/4/whatever to accumulate
that amount of wear?  I suspected before that the car actually has 15xK miles,
not the 5xK miles that are indicated and the owner said were on it.  BTW, the
accelerator shaft is HEAVILY ovaled also (the bushing is long gone).

        Last question: I got a new hardware kit for mounting the rear top-
attachment plate (bolts and "rivet-nuts" (I think))  These nuts are basically
aluminum tubes with threads on the inner lower half, and a flange at the top.
How do you install them?  My only guess is to drop them into the hole, then
tighten the bolt until the unthreaded portion deforms enough to lock them
in place.  Also, to remove the old ones I have to drill them out? (most of
the old ones were stripped and/or the bolts were missing).  Perhaps some
rivet-gun attachment will install them?
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randell.Jesup@scala.com