Re: clutch pins, rivet nuts, mice in your intake

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutch pins, rivet nuts, mice in your intake
From: "Christopher A. Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 11:10:15 PDT
My GT6+ has 70k miles on the clock and a fairly seriously ovalled
clutch pedal hole. This particular part of the car was not engineered
to last. I had to get the TR4A's clutch pedal welded up and drilled a
new hole because there was so much wear that I couldn't get the clutch
to disengage (there seem to be other problems lurking in the linkage,
too), but she's got almost 300K miles.

You've got the right picture for installing the rivnuts. If you go to a
decent hardware store, you can probably find a cheap hand installer
that consists of a grade 8 bolt of the proper size and an oversized
hunk of hex stock with a hole. You put a wrench on the hex, thread the
bolt through the hole and rivnut, insert and tighten. When it's
flattened, back the bolt out. There are also rivet gun attachments.

Chances are you can just drive the old rivnuts out with a suitable drift.

Rivnuts are one of my favorite toys - I don't use sheet metal screws
(or pop rivets, usually) to install things any more; instead I drill
oversized and use a rivnut to make a proper thread.