re: naming cars

To: BRITISH-CARS <BRITISH-CARS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET>
Subject: re: naming cars
From: U91F02@MANADON-ENGINEERING-COLLEGE.AC.UK
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 14:34 BST

>Going back a few years, we used to call me old Dad's Land Rover "Barrow".
>The name came from our "barrelling along" in it.  "Barrel" became "barrow"
>which was easier to say for us Derbyshire types :-) and barrow, like
>garden barrow, was what it was; it was used to carry _everything_!

Wow a Land Rover!!
        I've only been reading this list for a couple of weeks but this is the
first mention I have seen of a Landy. I was begining to think that nobody in
the States had one.
        Anyway, back to the subject. I own a red Series III Lightweight
called "Bertha". As seems to be common she named herself after a cartoon
character called "Big Bertha". It seemed obvious at the time, she was big
and definately female (moody, unpredictable, need I go on!!), so when I saw
the cartoon that was it.
        PLEASE MORE LANDY POSTINGS!!

cheers
Simon Gair U91F02@UK.AC.Manadon