New Net Word

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: New Net Word
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 15:29:39 +0000 ()
Here's a new word for some of you. All this talk about PFAFF (?) sewing
machines reminded me to look something up. Years ago when a sail or a
flag with flapping about with little wind in it it was called
FAFFLING. This eventually became FAFFING through the general corruption
of the ancient words.

To this day, if I'm not getting too far working on the car my father will
comment "You've been faffing about with that for half a day and you're no
farther ahead"

So, I'd like to suggest that while we use noddling, tinkering and such
for PRODUCTIVE light work that when real derision and lack of progress is
the messanger's intent that we reclaim this FAFFING term as a good choice.

Got to go. I can't be seen just faffing about on the computer like this
when I've got work to do.

Chris Ball
triumph@io.org
THE WRECK-A-MENDED GARAGE