Barn find

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Barn find
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 94 21:01:13 MDT
@LURK_MODE=OFF

SOL mates:

The job for this Saturday was to go pick up my pal's "new" '49 split
window Morris Minor from the infamous barn just outside of town. I'd been
out there before and the car I fell in love with is still there. I posted
a request for information about it last year, before I joined this list,
so if this is a repeat for some, sorry.

The car in question is a '31 Morgan Super Aero. It's sitting in the back
of the barn along with dozens of other hulks of similar vintage. From what
the owner tells me it's complete. He went to great effort to get the
original JAP engine back (from a fishing boat) and remount it. I'm taking
him at his word 'cus I wouldn't know one if it landed on my foot.  As for
the rest, the transmission is there, the rest of the chassis/running gear
is complete and the instrument panel and upholstery is around somewhere.
He say the only thing it's missing is the intake manifold (and carb?).

I got some correspondance from a fellow in Arizona last year saying that
there were 2 for sale around $30K US each. My question to the collective
is: given that the guy wants $7K CDN for it, is it going to be a 'doable'
project. i.e. is the cost of parts and rebuilds going to exceed $10K?
Maybe some of the SOL mates across the pond can give me a few
pointers here.

I'm really hot about this car, but I've also committed myself to running
the Shell 4000 rally in the spring. The Mini Cooper I'll be running is
still just a stripped shell, so I'll be spending my time (and $$$) getting
that ready. I don't have infinate resources so I'd like to know before
hand whether I should get involved in a Morgan or just take pictures and
sigh.

@LURK_MODE=ON

*Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut | Go in deeper, come out  *
*voice (403)466-6004                |harder and come from     *
*Fax (403)469-8650                  |behind!, That's what it's*
*chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca       |like to race a Mini!     *