Surrey Top Questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Surrey Top Questions
From: schuett@forest.fire.ca.gov
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 23:29 PDT
Okay, I'm confused...

I recently purchased a soft top from TRF for my '64 TR4 surrey top.  I have
the folding frame that attaches to the windscreen and backlight, and the
top seems to fit fine, and I can see that the top fits in the front just
as it does on the convertible but...(here's where I get lost)...How do I
attach the top to the backlight?  I have (also from TRF) a really nicely
made curved tube with two U.N.F. threaded (female) posts on it that fits
the curve of the backlight and matches up with the two holes on the top
of the backlight.  TRF tells me that it's supposed to fit in the trailing
edge of the soft top to hold it down, but when I try to fit it, it causes
the soft top to distort, making the rear edge curve up (kinda like the old
Kamm back vega rear ends...yuk).  My reference books don't show anything like
this curved bar at all (original owners manual, factory shop manual, "The
Original Triumph TR (Piggot), and "TR for Triumph (Harvey))  Instead, they all
mention two "Nylon Studs" that are apparently used in place of what I have...
So, what's the deal?  Does anybody know if the curved bar thing is a late
addition?  Are the "Nylon Studs" still available?  Will they work with the
soft top provided by TRF (a Cox and Buckle import)?  Can dogs GET hemorrhoids?
(BTW, scott, thanks for the dog remark...I, too, dislike pooches...)

anyway, this soft top thing is really bugging me...What do all the surrey top
owners out there have? nylon studs or curved bars? (scott, don't touch this...)
thanks for any advice...

On a related note, the PO apparently was unable to find the proper fender
bead for the top of my rear wings.  It's too short, and looks like it's
intended for the convertible (the moulding that sits on the rear deck of the
convertible would cover the ends).  My question is - Is the longer fender bead
still available? Anybody know?

thanks for the help...
gs

Greg Schuett
schuett@forest.fire.ca.gov
Citrus Heights, CA
'64 TR4 Surrey (with a vega-looking soft top...)
Mangy old dog that the wife really likes