Re: Naming cars

To: British-cars@autox.team.net, RGS03@ALBNYDH2.bitnet
Subject: Re: Naming cars
From: bownes@lucas.emi.com (R.M. Bownes III)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 11:38:42 +0500
->Bob Jones asked for suggestions for a name for his MG.
->
->Bob, Cars generally name themselves, as Scott and Dr. Bobwrench can
->attest (and have, I believe.) My own TR3A became Peggy in honor of
->the lovely young lady who sold it to me. It fits and she (the TR)
->likes it, so...

I can most certainly attest to the fact.  I have vivid memories of
Lizbeth finally telling me her name several days after I got her. It
was a dark, rainy Texas night, and I was taking the new toy for a run
up 820 around Ft. Worth. We were just becoming accustomed to each
other, and learning the thrills of a new love. Hard to believe it was
almost 9 years ago.

On a side note, the Lady Elizabeth celebrated her 18th birthday just
4 days ago. I'm off to DMV at lunch to get permission for me to take her out
on a little celebration ride this afternoon....

The GT-6 and Spit have not been so forthcoming. Though I think the GT
is named Andrew after a certain playfull prince. The Spit is just ornery.

->The problem is not in chosing a name, it's in learning to listen
->to what the car is trying to tell you.

A good point, not just with the name. When you become attuned to the car,
it is amazing what it will tell you. Sort of like Cats....