Newton's Book on Triumphs

To: (~b-c)
Subject: Newton's Book on Triumphs
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 14 Jun 1994 8:20 EDT
Andy Mace wrote:
NOTE: do NOT use Newton's Illustrated Triumph Buyer's Guide (at least
 not the original edition -- 1984?) as authoritative for a 1970
 Spitfire!!!!!! He was so far off it's laughable. I know. I was at the
 Long Island VTR convention in 1983, where he got many of his photos,
 and I remember seeing the car he shot -- a perfect half 1969, half
 1970 Spitfire!

 Andy Mace
 amace%sedofis@vm1.nysed.gov
----------------------------

I had the opportunity to review many of the text portions of
Newton's book for him.  I was amazed that he ignored many of
the factual corrections I noted AND that he subsequently
added additional material, some of which was also incorrect.
What was most embarrasing about that was that I was thanked by name
in the introduction.  When the Detroit TR club reviewed the book,
they pointed out that Newton stated that fuel-injected TR-6s
were available in the USA and how could people like (me, Steve
Rossi, etc.) have not corrected that before publication.

I went back to my Xerox copy of the TR-6 section I reviewed
and noted that in the text I reviewed there was NO mention of
injected TR-6s at all...thus Newton added that after we
reviewed the text.

So, while I haven't read a more recent version of the book,
I endorse Andy's comment about not relying on the Newton
book as a factual basis for details.  There are much better
sources for that information around.

Cheers,
Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com